These muffins are perfect for breakfast, brunch, and after-school snacks.
I am always on the lookout for a good muffin recipe. Yes, we are bread people in my family. We love bread, rolls, muffins, cakes and pretty much any other kind of pastry or baked good. I do, however, try my best to make some of those recipes a bit healthier. For this recipe, I swapped out white flour for organic whole wheat pastry flour and sugar for agave syrup, and then added protein shake mix. (If you are not a fan of agave syrup, just use 1 cup of sugar instead and increase the kefir to 2/3 of a cup.) The result was muffins that were moist, delicious, and out of this world.
Yield: 24 muffins … Or at least that’s what it should be. I never get it right when portioning out the batter though so I pretty much always end up with fewer (but taller) muffins.
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cups blue agave syrup
- 2 cups organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup vanilla dairy-based protein shake mix or protein powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup kefir
- 1 heaping cup of blended bananas
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, protein shake mix (or powder), and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until blended. Add agave and melted butter, and mix well.
- Add kefir and bananas, and mix again.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture, and mix until well-incorporated.
- Grease muffin pans or use paper liners. Portion out the batter. Bake at 350°F for 18-22 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Приятного аппетита! (Priyatnova appetita! Russian for ‘Bon Appetit!’)