This deliciously sweet cake is the perfect way to celebrate the coming of Fall!
One of my favorite things about New Jersey is that we get to experience all four seasons and the change between them. And we’re right in the middle of one of those changes now as there’s been a chill in the air over the past week or two that feels like Fall, and I can already see some of the trees starting to change colors. But while everyone else gets excited about Fall because of pumpkin spice everything, I get excited over apples: apple picking, apple cider, Apple Fest at Delicious Orchards, delicious apple recipes… you name it, I love it! The one little exception (ok, it’s a big one) is apple pie. I’m not a fan. So I prefer to make apple cakes, and this is a great one. The apples and apple butter make a perfect combination, and the caramel sauce is a perfect topper. I do need to stress though: buy 2-ingredient apple butter. Some brands load it up with all kinds of spices, corn syrups, and artificial ingredients, but there are plenty of options that are made just with apples and apple cider concentrate. Those are the ones you want to use in this recipe.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup apple butter spread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups apples, chopped and peeled (about 3 small apples)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup apple butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Start with the cake: Add eggs, sugar, and brown sugar in a big bowl, and mix until well-incorporated.
- Add canola oil, vanilla extract, and apple butter, and mix well again.
- In a different bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Combine the dry mixture to the wet mixture in batches and mix well.
- Peel and dice apples and fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased bundt pan and bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake cools, prepare the sauce: Add butter, brown sugar, cream, milk, and salt to a sauce pan, and stir until butter is melted and incorporated.
- Once sauce boils, reduce heat and let it bubble for 5-7 minutes while stirring.
- Remove sauce from heat, add apple butter, and mix well.
- Once cake and sauce have had time to cool, pour sauce over the cake.
Enjoy the cake warm, and refrigerate between servings.
See how this recipe is made by watching the video below:
Приятного аппетита! (Priyatnova appetita! Russian for ‘Bon Appetit!’)