Warm up on cold winter day with this delicious Italian-style soup.
I love a good bowl of soup. There is just something so satisfying about delicious hot soup going down and warming up your whole body. (I’ve been very cold this winter. Brrr!) Also, I am convinced that soup is one of those dishes that the longer it sits, the better it gets, which makes it perfect for those of you who like to plan and cook ahead for the week. I like using chicken broth for this recipe, but it tastes good with vegetable broth (or even water) too so you can easily make it vegan. Serve with crusty bread rubbed with garlic clove or with avocado toast.
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press or chopped
- 1 medium-sized Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1-28oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 15.8 oz. can of black eyed peas, rinsed and drained (or 1/2 cup dry and then cooked)
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 8 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
- 2 cups baby spinach and baby kale mix chopped (add at the end)
- In a soup pot, preheat a little olive oil, and add onions, garlic and bell pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until veggies are soft.
- Add Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, and heat for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and broth, and bring to a boil.
- Once soup starts to boil, add wild rice, stir, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add black eyed peas and simmer until wild rice is cooked through.
- Once the wild rice has cooked, add chopped spinach and kale, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Приятного аппетита! (Priyatnova appetita! Russian for ‘Bon Appetit!’)